Friday 19 November 2010

About This Blog and its Author

My name is Jeff Hall and this is my new "existential philosophy" blog. I've summarised my background in my biog opposite.

I also publish an Alexander Technique blog and you can follow ne on Twitter @TheRealJeffHall.

In this this blog I want to discuss some ideas about the nature of physical reality and of consciousness. The latest thinking in physics, string theory, suggests that the universe is stranger than our wildest imaginings. Instead of just three spatial dimensions, there are more: another SEVEN more! This raises a number of interesting questions:
  • How can we interpret the meaning of string theory?
  • Do these extra dimensions actually exist in any sense that the human mind could grasp?
  • Is human consciousness located in these extra dimensions?
  • Could this be the first scientific confirmation that a spirit world exists?
  • Have we finally defined God mathematically?
  • Are there any clues from esoteric and spiritual writings that confirm the scientific theory from the other side?

To try to answer some of these questions, I will be linking to other resources including videos which you can also view on my YouTube "favourites" at TheRealJeffHall.

Although my interest in this subject began in 1988, it wasn't until 1996 that I started to bore the pants off my friends by talking about multiple dimensions. By 1998 I had started to write a book about the subject but at that time my understanding was increasing faster than my ability to write about it. I had another couple of attempts in the next 10 years but I never seemed to get enough time to complete the project. That's why I decided that a blog was the best way to publish.

At the time that I started, there weren't many online resources discussing real world interpretations of string theory but today there are numerous! I intend to pick a path through them pointing out the things that interest me most. One of particular note in the field of discussing the interpretation of string theory is a blog published by Canadian philosopher and musician Rob Bryanton, author of "Imagining the 10th Dimension" and "O is for Omniverse".

More about this later, but my contribution to this area of philosophy is in using string theory to get a new perspective on consciousness. I believe that consciousness is a field similar to the electromagnetic spectrum. We humans are tuned-in to a narrow band of the spectrum of consciousness, just as we are only tuned to a narrow band of the electromagnetic spectrum - light.

I think this idea of a spectrum of consciousness is new. Well, I have been researching this field of knowledge for over 20 years and I haven't seen it anywhere else - yet! So, if someone else claims to have come-up with it first then I came to the same conclusion by independent means.

To persuade you that this isn't just a personal flight of fancy and as a starting point take a look at this YouTube clip "Who lives in the eleventh dimension? - Parallel Universes - BBC science" (apologies if an advert appears at the front end of the clip!)



In my next post I want to explain how string theory came about and why it is taken so seriously despite the fact that we don't yet have any firm evidence that it is true.

From the perspective of THIS universe, I am "The REAL" Jeff Hall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment